Friday, November 20, 2009

Sleep

I sleep under bodies
Hanging from hooks and wire

Under the women who give me courage

And the men who inspire me


I sleep to the sound of your voice

It seeps into my dreams

I dream of your laugh

And that sly, sly smile


I sleep through my classe
s
I drift off in the middle of a…

I write love letters to you in the margins of my notebooks

I draw thumbnail portraits on the cover
s
I am failing English because of it


I sleep past noon

I wake up when sun is settin
g
And I feel like I’ve wasted another day

I’ve wasted almost all my days


I sleep always

But for some reason I am compelled to stay up all hours of the night

Maybe I am nocturnal

Maybe I am an owl


I sleep inside of you

In the deepest, secret parts of you

I will always keep your secrets

I will hide them where I hide my own

I will hide them in my dreams

No comments: