Sunday, October 26, 2008

Artichoke Parts I, II, III [2, 3, 4]



Artichoke Parts I, II, III

What is in a label?
An artichoke by any other label,
is still as complex.

I created this piece to further explore the ideas multiplicity of identity and labeling. The artichoke has come to represent layering of identies in my mind. As such, it represents to me what a heart usually represents to other people. It is the essence of a being, the core of who they truly are. By transposing the labels on the diagrams, this piece is meant to show that the two are interchangeable, and are really one in the same. It shows that one idea can be viewed and described in different ways. It all depends on how we choose to label them. The idea of labeling is one that is rooted deep within queer culture. We both label ourselves and are labeled by others. But that doesn’t mean that the two always match.

No comments: